My first book, Green Tea: The Natural Secret to a Healthier Life, sold more than 80,000 copies. Since then, I’ve learned some basic techniques that are guaranteed to grab the reader’s attention, and condensed them into twelve tips:
- Begin your health book with some startling or touching information about the disease or condition you’re discussing.
- Right from the start, let readers know you empathize with them and understand what they’re going through.
- Explain, in layman’s terms, the physiology and/or psychology of the problem.
- Present an overview of your program for better health by Chapter 4.
- Devote several chapters to an explanation of the nuts and bolts of your program, with one chapter dedicated to each point in the program.
- Write in short, understandable sentences.
- Use active language; keep passive sentences to a minimum.
- Include plenty of case histories.
- Don’t spend a lot of time attacking anyone or anything: focus on helping your readers.
- Offer plenty of helpful, specific advice, even on matters the readers “should” already know all about.
- Create an emotional experience for the readers; make them sit up and say, “Yeah, that’s me!”
- Leave out the heavy science that readers will skip. (You can put it in the appendices if you want to establish your scientific credibility.)
And one final tip for creating a great health book:
End the book with a rousing call to action plus an upbeat, encouraging reminder that everyone can attain and maintain better health.
Just one more thing…
You had a good reason for writing your health book. If what you’ve written isn’t up to the highest standards, consider hiring a “book doctor” to make your book one you can be proud of! You can learn more about writing health books on my “Health” page.
I’m Nadine Taylor, M.S., R.D., a bestselling author and editor. If your health book needs help, give me a call at 818-562-7721. You can see Green Tea: The Natural Secret For A Healthier Life, Arthritis For Dummies, Runaway Eating and other health books I’ve written or edited at Amazon.com.